Links to other resources for sharing agricultural abundance
Food Banks in the San Francisco Bay area:
- The Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Marin Food Bank
- The San Francisco Food Bank
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano Counties.
- Hope 4 the Heart - Hayward, CA and Alameda County
- The Alameda Food Bank (not the same as the Alameda County Community Food Bank.)
Gleaning, garden assistance, and other organizations helping the hungry
- Farm to Pantry - Gleaning in Sonoma County, CA
- Phat Beets Produce - A food justice collective in North Oakland, CA - Food Justice * Farmers Markets * Gardens
- The People's Grocery - Working on providing healthy food to everyone in Oakland through urban agriculture and establishment of grocery stores in urban food deserts.
- O.B.U.G.S - building school and neighborhood gardens in and around Oakland, CA. Teaching inner city kids about agriculture and healthy eating, while generating food for the community.
- City Slicker Farms - Transforming vacant lots into productive farms, providing people in need with small backyard garden kits, urban farming education, and much more.
- Spiral Gardens - Community Food Security Project
- The Alameda Backyard Growers - Gleaning produce in the city of Alameda, CA through their Alameda Fruit Gleaning Initiative.
- The Urban Youth Harvest of PUEBLO (People United for a Better Life in Oakland)
- Dig Deep Farms & Produce - a project in co-operation with the Alameda County Deputy Sheriffs' Activities League, DDF&P has turned vacant lots in the areas of Ashland and Cherryland (unicorporatated Alameda County bordering Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and Catro Valley) into productive gardens for the benefit of the community.
- Found Fruit - Urban foraging, urban farming, bee keeping, and more in Oakland, CA
- Anna, The Lemon Lady - Gleaning in Concord, CA
- East Bay Urban Agriculture Alliance - Educating on sustainable practices for growing and raising affordable food in an urban environment.
- Faith Feeds - Gleaning in and around Lexington, KY
- Salvation Farms - Building increased resilience in Vermont's food system through agricultural surplus management.
- New Orleans Fruit Tree Project - Gleaning from urban fruit trees in New Orleans, LA.
- Portland Fruit Tree Project - Gleaning fruit in Portland, Oregon.
- The Vancouver Fruit Tree Project - Gleaning fruit in Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Urban Harvest - Houston, TX based organization supporting a network of urban gardens, farms and orchards.
- GrowPortland - Expanding urban agriculture in Portland, OR
- Depave - a project in Portland, Oregon, Depave promotes the removal of unnecessary pavement from urban areas to create community green spaces and mitigate stormwater runoff.
Check out this excellent TED Talk about the way food shapes our cities:
Free Seeds for Gardeners
Seed Savers Exchange's project "Herman's Garden" provides free packets of seeds to community and educational groups.